Thursday, August 26, 2010

A word on "coincidence"

Today after publishing my last post, I started thinking. Well, technically, I just kept thinking about what I wrote. You and I know that most people would see things differently: My being in Switzerland and then realizing I was beginning a book that was inspired by someone being in Switzerland would be chalked up as a funny coincidence. Furthermore, some people may even think I was a bit extreme for thinking this coincidence was some message from God. That's fine, and I get it. I don't expect everyone in the world to see like I see, or feel like I feel.

But here's my take.

Coincidence is when you are wondering why you haven't seen George Clooney in a movie lately, and two seconds later, you see a trailer on TV for an upcoming film he's starring in. Coincidence is when my kid says, "Mom, what's a beagle?" and then we see one at the park. Coincidence is for things that don't really matter, and have no impact on anyone's life.

I've been around people who have, and been within a personal relationship with Jesus myself long enough to know that everything else "coincidental" in life has His fingerprints on it. Over time, I've begun to recognize His unexpected influence upon my life like one recognizes an old friend. After years of knowing a friend, you begin to recognize her more by the heart, than by appearance.

He is at work, people. Do not ever doubt this, and do not ever expect to understand the whole picture. The Bible says our Lord never sleeps nor slumbers. In the areas of your life that seem stale or stuck, invite Him in, and then trust He is working. Perhaps you'll have to wait to see how or where; perhaps simply knowing He's working behind the scenes with your best interest in mind is what you are called to put your faith in. We are blessed to get glimpses here and there of His intricate, unbelievable plans. These seasons are so encouraging. But the real test of our faith comes in the quiet.

When God seems still, and I feel like I'm working out my program alone, I can begin to call things "coincidence." I can forget the bigger picture and start to panic at the number of things out of order in my life. But right now, I'm filled up with encouragement. And while it's my turn to be in that position, I wanted to spill some of that onto you, in case you're being asked to endure a tough time.

I strongly believe the Lord desires for us to have a hopeful expectation of His action. In fact, this hope is a part of the Bible's definition of faith:

Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things unseen. (Hebrews 11:1)

Often, God's work is unseen. But believe that He is always, always working. If you remain on the lookout for evidence, I know you'll find it.

For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment