Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mavericks and Almighty



Mavericks is one of the most famous big wave surf breaks in the world. It is just up the coast from Half Moon Bay in Northern California. It boasts of life-threatening waves.

We visited it a couple years ago. I took this photo of the waves crashing on the rocks. It does little justice to the power of the water we witnessed.  

There, the ocean speaks with a deafening roar.


I thought about Mavericks today because last night I read this verse.

"For I am the LORD your God, who churns up the sea so that its waves roar - the LORD Almighty is his name."  Isaiah 51:15

And wouldn't you know it. I just learned something about the name "LORD Almighty." First of all, whenever you see the word LORD in all capitals in the Bible, it is the translation for God's holy name YHWH, or Yahweh in English. It is not a title. It is his name. Second of all, I recently learned that "Almighty" is what more modern translations say. The older ones say "Lord of Hosts." This word in Hebrew is Sabaoth, and it literally refers to the Lord as the almighty commander of all the hosts, or armies, of heaven as well as the armies of Israel. Sabaoth offers a portrait of God's power and position.

He commands the waves like he commands armies of heavenly hosts in battle.

He is mighty. He can handle my battles. Easily.

If our God is for us, then who, or what, can stand against us?
He will fight for me. He will fight for you.

The LORD Almighty is his name. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love this! It is so powerful to focus on His attributes--just puts everything in perspective, doesn't it. What a beautiful picture!!

    ReplyDelete