Wednesday, February 27, 2013

February Thanks-living {and a Mt. Everest update}


 
 
Trek 4 TEF logo

 
Last February, I shared about a dream my husband had.

A Mt. Everest-sized dream.

Literally.

I wrote this post about it, where I explained all the details of the fundraiser he'd begun to raise money for a foundation which offers Christ-centered support for families with children who have special needs. It is a cause close to his heart. But this particular fundraiser is unique in that it includes a trek up to the base camp of Mt. Everest. Nine adventurous folks are on the team. And in that post linked above, there is a very touching video explaining the trip and featuring Eli, a teen with down syndrome, who is also making the trek. If you haven't seen it, go now! I'll wait. It's really short.

Okay, wasn't that amazing? Didn't you sorta tear up at the end? Fast forward one year to now, and my husband leaves FRIDAY for Nepal. I know what you're thinking. Wow, this trip is happening in the midst of our big, cross-country move?? Yes, that's right. God has some crazy ideas. Talk to Him about it.

So last night as I lay awake thinking about it, I felt sad because I will miss him. It is a long trip, and we've never, EVER been apart for that long. But also I am so incredibly proud of him heeding the call to tackle this mountain. The literal mountain, and the mountain of a cause, supporting families who need some extra support, all in the name of Jesus.

This month, I'm focusing my gratitude on my husband and on God for pulling this whole thing off. A few days ago, I heard that a couple of the team members had not met their fundraising goals. It was an issue; the leadership didn't feel right prohibiting their participation, but on the other hand, would letting them participate be fair to those who worked that much harder to raise the funds? About two days later, the Trek4TEF website received a large, anonymous donation that not only made up for the difference, but exceeded the total deficit by $2000.

I was immediately reminded of the loaves and fishes. When Jesus fed the 5000 men on the hillside using only 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish, He didn't miraculously multiply the resources to provide simply enough for the people to eat. Nope. Why would He be so practical? Of course He took the opportunity to tell us something about Himself. He's not just Circus Jesus who can perform miracles. The Bible records that there were 12 baskets full of leftover food. That's not only a God. That's a generous God.

Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
Ephesians 3:20

It's not even just about the money. I know God will give generously to each of the climbers during the whole trip. He is generous with His presence, His strength, His wisdom. The Lord is our Shepherd, and we (all) shall not want for anything that He decides we need. I'm so thankful for my generous God. And I'm so thankful for my obedient, passionate, and courageous husband. If you think about Him and the team over the next few weeks, please pray for smooth travels, their safety, and that God's purposes for this trip in the lives of all the climbers would be fulfilled.

So goodness, February has been quite a month.
 
What happened in your life for which you can say thanks?

{link up your Thanks-living post below and if you'd like to use the community button, feel free to copy and paste the text in the box into your post}

 
topofthepagewithleslie

 



Photobucket
 


4 comments:

  1. okay so blogger decided to act up when i hit submit so if you get two comments from me, sorry.
    i think this is an amazing story leslie and such a blessing to have a husband after God's heart to please Him. I will be praying for their safety and for God's glory to shine through this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so thankful things have gone well with all this...I think about his upcoming trip often, ever since you told us about it! Parker has even asked me several times if he had gone yet!!! Well be praying! And as always, so thankful for your heart of faithfulness and obedience. love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so much!! Such a Spirit inspired idea! So proud of your husband for saying yes to this and creating such a unique way to give to those with disabilities. I love how creative God is. I love what He can do through a hear that is soft and says yes! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! he's going!! yeah (and you're moving, wow!). praying God magnifies His mercy on the team, you, your children, and that you see God at work in all the details and provision, and that God-in-the-details is a great source of comfort and peace for you all.

    ReplyDelete