I'm finding myself in unfamiliar and puzzling situations a lot lately in our new space and new state.
And I decided I'd be foolish to not ask you guys some of these practical questions. The blogging community is such an amazing resource, and I just KNOW some of you are experts on the things I am not. So this is a quirky little post, but I'd love it if you had any advice for me in any or all of these areas. Seriously. Help a girl out. Pretty please?
So here we go. Numbered lists are my favorite.
1. My son and I both have severely dry skin. It was an issue in CA, despite the high moisture in the air there. One of my biggest concerns of moving to MT, a much colder, drier climate, was that it would cause issues for us. And it has. I need some recommendations of like INTENSE moisturizers. I don't mean the nice and pretty lotions whose main benefit is the smell. I mean serious stuff, and preferably as natural as possible. My son is scratching himself to pieces because his skin is so dry and itchy. What about lips, hands (mine now look like the grim reaper's, and my fingers are starting to crack and bleed), and body products?
I've tried drinking a lot more water, making it more appealing, and serving it every day. But that doesn't seem to be helping much.
2. On a related note, have you tried any whole home humidifiers? Or small ones for bedrooms? I need input on this whole hydration problem. My daughter is saying she is scared at night because she runs her hand on the blanket and it sparks so much from the static. Sheesh.
3. I am so thankful that I have lots of wood floors now. But the dirt from the outside is coming in a lot. I bought a special mop type thing for wood floors and treated pads that go on it, and I hate it. I need some ideas for cleaning big areas and the right kind of products and tools for wood. I know some of you have genius ideas for me here.
4. Any systems for keeping track of the kids' hats, mittens, etc. at school? My threats that they'll have to rebuy lost items with their savings is probably not the best strategy.
A before school snack: this one will eat snow no matter how scarce.
5. We don't have a mud "room," it's more of a mud "area," but how do you use this space efficiently so it doesn't become just a dumping ground of junk - some of it muddy or dirty - blocking the walkway?
6. In cold weather, does the windshield washer fluid in your car freeze inside its tank? And is it totally dumb to try to use it anyways, because will it clean off your windshield or will the water just freeze up on the glass and make your vision worse? I'm sure this sounds ridiculous to some of you.
7. Do you think it's a good time of year for us to be on the look out for new or used winter sports gear, of which we have none, in anticipation of next year? Do your kids have more luck skiing or snowboarding? Is one easier than the other for kids? Everyone wears helmets now for this stuff too, right?
8. Lastly, do you know where my wine glasses, pillowcases, and oven mitts are? Because they're all still missing. We have t-shirts on our pillows. Any prophetic knowledge about where these boxes might be would be appreciated.
Thanks so much friends.
And wait. Ahhhhh. Remember this? This I know.
If you ever move to Orange County and need tricks to getting sand off a wet child, the best way/place to teach your kid to surf, or tips on how to prevent green-hair syndrome from too much time in the pool, you know where to find me.