Monday, September 05, 2011

Labor Day Lovely


I took a bit of time today to re-do this space in my dining area. It's the eating space attached to my kitchen. Behind me is our square table, where we share our meals.



This counter makes me so happy. It's my own personal still life. (As if life ever stands still.)



I found this amazing turquoise typewriter at the flea market a couple months ago. It was a steal! I believe my friend said, "If you don't buy that, I'll..." and then some threat that I don't remember, but I think it was violent.

It stands as an homage to words on a page.

I also love mercury glass. These pieces are the extent of my small collection. (And the owlie? From the dollar bin at Target. How cute is he.)



Last fall, Shauna and I made book-page wreaths for tidbit. She made the book pages part with an enviable amount of patience and crazy amounts of hot glue. I made the banners on them (well, for tidbit we made fabric flags. Our personal wreaths had banners.) I still love this wreath (although I don't love how I stood in front of it and shadowed half the thing in the photo. Sheesh.)



Here is my stack of antique sewing machine drawers. None of them match. These are actually quite important. They contain pens, pencils, Sharpies, gift cards, the key to the pool, and other random but essential items. That junk used to be stored in something super ugly that we kept for like eight too many years. My eyes don't hurt anymore when I need to grab a pen.



And finally, my favorite graphic. The message is mainly to remind my big self. That little grey blob to its right is a bird made out of newspaper. He has black wire legs. I found him at the flea market too. The words are oriented so that on his side, it says "superb." Reminds me of the movie Beautiful Girls. "It's just superb, Tracy. Superb."

SO what are you doing today for Labor Day?

I hope you find some lovely.





Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Soooo beautiful! I love that typewriter... and the wreath!!! Wow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to post about the typewriter we just inherited. Its very similar in color to yours but was my husbands grandfathers. Theyre from Cuba and this typewriter has all the Spanish forms of punctuation...its amazing! Better yet, when we opened it, there was a page still in it that hed started typing with his name and everything.
    And you left out a very important bit of info for us here: wheres the graphic from? I need that in my home as my own reminder. Did you make it?
    I cant wait for our weekend. Its almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie-- I am in love with your typewriter! I have been looking for a similar one at a decent price but haven't found one yet...I will though : ) And the wreath! You guys are so creative, that wreath is awesome and I love the saying.....and the typewriter print, love it all! Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that typewriter and all your fun accessories, esp. your wreath! Thanks for the fun inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That typewriter could not be more appropriate for you or more awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of it, will you make me a wreath? you know...in all your spare time! Everything looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh, that typewriter! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely space that is - the typewriter is A M A Z I N G !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love anything personal and that typewriter print is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have an area in the kitchen where my computer sits and I need to vamp it up like you did!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a cute space, leslie! i love the way you stacked the drawers like that. very unique and cute! and i may have used violent threats on you as well, if you had passed up that typewriter :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I love this space. So sweet and inspiring. I especially love the "your story matters" banner on your wreath. I was a journalism major and I love the idea of story in everything. Happy to have found your blog. Xo, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. that wreath does not look good in your kitchen... i could take it off your hands for you!! :-)

    it's so cool. now i want to go make one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH MY GOODNESS!!! You are sooo creative! I love your owl with big orange eyes...so darling! Actually, I love everything in every picture! EEK! I hope you will link up here:
    http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2011/09/sweet-saturday-v4.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is super cute, leslie!! i love it!! i've been waiting to comment on this blog for a week. or something. but i'm back from vaca now so i can.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that Ive seen this space in person it holds even more meaning to me.
    And I love that our typewriters match:) Sounds like we could go into business if we found more of them!
    That wreath is just drool-worthy and the little owl totally reminds me of the $$$$$ orange owl cookie jar at Anthro.

    ReplyDelete