Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Jesus and Adele



I was thinking about something Jessi said on Instagram the other day: "In order to influence, you have to be influenced." And she posted a photo of her open Bible. I know this truth, and I appreciated the reminder. I have nothing to offer anyone else unless I'm filled up first. And I so know that I have nothing to blog about when I'm not spending time in His word. I just feel....speechless. No inspiration.

So I was wondering what I've been inspired by lately, feeling a bit convicted for neglecting my time in the Word. Pandora was playing in the background. And then this Adele song came on. Which, I was reminded, is actually not an Adele song, it's a Bob Dylan song, sung by Adele.

But the words were not from Bob Dylan or Adele this time I heard it, though I've heard the song a hundred times before. I heard Jesus speaking them...not in my ears, in my heart. He brought a lump to my throat, and I was reminded that the Gospel is everywhere.


When the rain is blowin' in your face
And the whole world is on your case
I could offer you a warm embrace
To make you feel my love.
 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
He will cover you with his feathers.
He will shelter you with his wings.
His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
Psalm 91:1,4
When the evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one there to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love.
You keep track of all my sorrows.
You have collected all my tears in your bottle.
You have recorded each one in your book.
Psalm 56:8
I know you haven't made your mind up yet
But I would never do you wrong
I've known it from the moment that we met
No doubt in my mind where you belong.
But you are a chosen people,
a royal priesthood, a holy nation,
a people belonging to God,
that you may declare the praises of him who called you
out of darkness into his wonderful light.
1 Pet 2:9
I'd go hungry, I'd go black and blue
I'd go crawlin' down the avenue
No, there's nothin' that I wouldn't do
To make you feel my love.
But he was pierced for our rebellion,
crushed for our sins.
He was beaten so we could be whole.
He was whipped so we could be healed.
Isaiah 53:5
Though storms are raging on the rollin' sea
And on the highway of regrets
Though winds of change are throwing wild and free
You ain't seen nothin' like me yet.
No one is holy like the Lord!
There is no one besides you;
there is no Rock like our God.
1 Sam 2:2
I could make you happy, make your dreams come true
Nothing that I wouldn't do
Go to the ends of the Earth for you
To make you feel my love.
 This is how we know what love is:
Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.
1 John 3:16

He is so good to us, isn't He?


{lyrics from "Make You Feel My Love", by Bob Dylan, 1997}

 
Photobucket

27 comments:

  1. man, that's good stuff right there.
    i am so thankful that your blog not only inspires and encourages me, but it convicts and brings light to things i need to change.
    thank you for sharing your heart for Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I got goosebumps reading this. Thank you for sharing your heart! He has amazing ways of revealing himself to us. Man. hugs to you this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I was in the car this morning on my way to drop off for school and I was listening to a Christian radio station. I feel annoyed, frustrated when people call in to say that God played just the right song at just the right time for them so you should give money to the radio station so they can keep playing songs for God. I always feel guilty as soon as those feelings rise up in me...like how dare I poo poo someone saying that God moved in their life. I pondered this while I was at a red light and I think I figured my thoughts out. I think that God speaks to us ALL the time...not just in a song...but ALL the time...it is US who decide when to listen to him. Sometimes we hear him in a song, sometimes it's in our child's innocent words, sometimes it's on a billboard while roaring down the highway. He is ALWAYS trying to get our attention. I just think it is amazing how much I personally miss it. How often He has to try plan B, C, D, E....all the way to Z and then he starts all over again. He even wrote a BOOK for me and I still don't bother to hear sometimes! How awesome that you HEARD him. And that you used Adele and Dillion...double awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never listen to that song the same way again. I love how we can never escape God's story, he sings it to us, and shows it to us everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will never hear this song the same way again! How beautiful. He's everywhere, really, even when you don't expect it. What a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I love all the different ways God chooses to speak to our hearts. This post was completely refreshing! I needed those reminders, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite songs, and now I love it even more! Thanks, Leslie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading this title I was like ooooh. I love both. This is.. WAY COOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so so good. thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome... awesome... awesome!
    this song is fab.u.lous!
    and now thinking about my saviour while listening... couldn't be better!!!
    thanks!
    (isn't it amazing that we have the BEST love song written for us in His Word?!?!?!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post! The back and forth format is one of my favorite ways to journal and process scripture and songs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my very favorite songs... thanks for opening my eyes to seeing it in a new light. Jesus can be found everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yep.
    this is great.
    i'm sure it took some work to find scripture for each verse :)
    and i'm smiling at you as i write this knowing so well how easily God can communicate with us if we listen.
    it's not as hard as we sometimes make it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leslie,

    Haha! At first, when I was reading your post title, I was a little concerned about Jesus and Adele being in the same line :).

    I really love how you mirrored this song with scripture. When there was someone trying to write about the deepest kind of love that could be found, we can compare that to Christ. He did/does all those things for us, and we are so loved!

    Great reminder.

    Thanks,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing...I will never listen to that song the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, this is beautiful. I recently read someone's post about hearing the gospel through a secular concert. I love how God moves through EVERYTHING!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE Adele's version of this song. Can't wait to hear it again and be reminded of the scripture you so poignantly paired. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for this... beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this song! A few year back, Nicole Nordeman re-did a Peter Gabriel song called "In Your Eyes." I loved it! I love how God can use secular music to speak his heart to us!! Amazing...and now I want to listen to this Dylan song...

    ReplyDelete
  20. this was absolutely perfect. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. That was some good stuff, Leslie. Greatly encouraged. P.S. I love Adele.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is... hmmm, lovely.

    i've always loved this bob dylan song. it's always made me think of Jesus. Oh, how He has made me feel His love.

    ReplyDelete