Tuesday, April 03, 2012

The power of a story (why I blog)



Today I'm joining Heather and others to talk about what inspires us as bloggers.

When I thought about it, one idea jumped out at me, and only one.

I'm inspired by the power of a story.

These last few years, particularly through my blogging journey, the Lord has truly opened my eyes to the fact that He is an author. In the book of Hebrews, Jesus is described as the "author and perfecter of our faith." I've basically spent the last two years unpacking the meaning of that phrase here on my blog.

Jesus is an author, and I've come to understand that He is writing a story of my faith. That means I am the heroine in His story for me. I am being written, and that story is unfolding all around me. And most importantly, this story isn't really even about me! It's about Him. His bigger picture. His work. His transforming love. I'm just a character that is sometimes more willing than others to be used in that story. And on worse days, I'm erasing what He's done. I've learned I can work against Him, mainly when I grab the pen and try my hand at writing my own story. But guess what? I have no idea what my story is really about. I have no idea what the future holds and what paths will lead to the best me.

But I do have a passion to share bits of these chapters. For whatever reason, God's given me this unceasing desire to transcribe my story of faith here, for you. Somehow I understand that the power of my story is also in the telling of it. 

And I believe that for you too. Our stories are to be told, not buried, or tucked away in dark closets. Of course, timing and sensitivity are very important for some of those stories. Nonetheless, part of my story is to inspire others to tell theirs. I'm so humbled to know a few blog friends who have said that they started blogging because of my words. Because my courage inspired some in them. God does not let anything in our lives go to waste. Particularly pain. Chances are, if you've gone through something painful, He'll bring someone into your life who is going through the same thing. Part of your own healing and strengthening may be in helping another who is a few steps behind you walk that same painful road.

God always looks for ways to bring beauty from our ashes.

I think it's so important to teach our children that they too are heroes and heronies in a story God is writing in their lives. And how can we teach them they are part of His adventure if we don't recognize our role in our own lives? Are we even aware of the story He's trying to author in us? Are we working against it, trying to control everything ourselves? Or are we actively cooperating, following His lead, and trusting Him even in the darkest parts of the story?

Through all the battles, heartbreaks, victories, and trials of life, the best news of all is that if we are a part of God's story, we are certain to find the happy ending we've always dreamed of. I think that's the definition of hope. Nothing inspires me more than that. Thanks for visiting.



Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Love <3
    It's nice to find someone in the online society who is not ashamed of God. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a beautiful reason to blog. love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Leslie...your story has touched my life and I'm so grateful for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh, yes.
    this is so beautiful.
    love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am SO glad you share your story...and HIS story here. You are an amazing woman Leslie and I love your heart so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always awesome to find a sister in Christ. Blog on, friend :)

    swinging by from the inspirational blog hoP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you share your stories. And I'm glad we are all a part of God's story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. amen!

    i add to that that our children and grandchildren will read these stories of ours. these stories of longing, perseverance, delight, love, and victory, and SEE GOD, their God in them. a rich inheritance in Christ so intentionally passed on to them. that excites me!

    ReplyDelete